November 8, 2011

Clearing Out The Clutter - Making Way For Love!

This weekend my handsome husband and I ATTACKED our house. He has every other Saturday completely off work and we like to head to Six Flags to put our season passes to work or take the kids to the park, but this weekend was different. We worked as a team to accomplish some much needed work around our house!

I really wish I would have taken some before and after pics... a guess I could still take the after ones... hmmm. Anyways - my laundry room was a disaster! I was almost avoiding doing laundry for all the CLUTTER, dust, and junk in the way.


I can dream, can't I?


Then we found that in order to really clean things out and put things were they belong (tools, paint, totes of more stuff, etc), we needed to clean up our storage shed next to the house. One ugly mess led us to another... but by the end of the day we were so happy to see that our hard work paid off!

Now I can walk right in to my laundry room and wash our clothes! I can find what I'm looking for! And I'm not afraid that my crawling son will get into something that will hurt him. There is more light, more space, more freedom without all the clutter. Many sources of stress are now gone, and peace prevails!!!

All this clearing out of clutter made me think about the clutter that builds up in our minds and hearts, if we let it. This clutter takes the shape of negative thoughts, regret, guilt, shame, fear, bitterness, hatred and the list goes on. Sometimes we have this kind of clutter without realizing it.

As believers, God's Spirit is living in us. His precious Spirit is here. We want a pure heart, a clean vessel for the Spirit of God to dwell in and work through. I know that sanctification is a process... this is part of that process. I'm finding that I need to ask God to shine His light on my heart, even on the unseen things. That He would bring to light those things that don't please Him. The dead, stinky things.


The Word of God tells us this:

He uncovers deep things out of darkness, and brings the shadow of death to light.
Job 12:22


My Bible reading accountability group (Good Morning Girls) is reading the book of 1 John.
Just last week the portion of scripture that stood out most to me, especially as it pertains to clearing the clutter, is 1 John 3:13-15. It reads:


Do not be surprised, brothers, if the world hates you. We know that we have passed from death to life because we love our brothers. The one who does not love remains in death. Everyone who hates his brother is a murdered, and you know that no murderer has eternal life residing in him.
1 John 3:13-15


We are to love others, forgiving them and freeing them. Love is the result of new birth! But learning to love and forgive is a process.

God has done so much in my own life. He has helped me to forgive others who have hurt me and to even forgive myself. Yet as God's Word and His Spirit bring to light any darkness that remains, I hope to stay vigilant to repent and love. God WILL complete the good work He has begun in me, and in YOU!


May God bring peace to your heart and life as you clear the clutter with His help!

Blessings,



I'm linked up with the lovely ladies at:


 

4 comments:

Wanda said... Best Blogger Tips

Love this. You are a blessing !

Megan said... Best Blogger Tips

@Wanda
And I LOVE YOU!!! I don't say it enough! I couldn't be the momma that I am today wihtout all your help and encouragment. Thank you!

Jenn said... Best Blogger Tips

When I saw your link at Women in the Word I thought, what a beautiful laundry room! :) Thank you for sharing this, it is so true that the clutter in our own hearts and minds is sometimes in need of more cleaning than even the clutter in our homes....

Megan said... Best Blogger Tips

@Jennifer
Thanks for stopping by! I WISH that was my laundry room :o) But for now mine is clean enough to use... Blessings!