June 1, 2012

One Delicious Chocolate Cake

I've had this chocolate cake recipe up my sleeve for a while. I'd LOVE to share it with you!

Actually, it belongs to Kate Sullivan, but I found it on Lick The Spoon. It's been in my recipe binder for two years now... so I guess I can call it mine  :o)

It calls for a lot of eggs and some coffee... adding to the moist, rich taste. And it makes a LOT of batter. Great for cupcakes for a large party.

This recipe made two round cakes, so here's what I made with them for my hubby's birthday:



The tastiest Pac Man ever!


The second cake got whipped cream and strawberries
for our family birthday party.


One Delicious Chocolate Cake (Kate Sullivan)
2 1/3 cups all purpose flour
1 ½ cups unsweetened cocoa powder
1 ¼ teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 tablespoon baking soda
3 cups granulated sugar
5 eggs, room temp
1 tablespoon vanilla
1 ½ cups buttermilk, room temp
1 ½ sticks unsalted butter, melted
1 ½ cups strong coffee

Preheat oven to 350. Grease and flour sides and bottoms of pans. Set pans aside.

In large bowl of mixer, stir together the flour, cocoa, salt, baking powder and soda. Stir in the sugar.

In small bowl, combine the eggs and vanilla extract. Mix into the dry ingredients. Stir in the buttermilk, melted butter and coffee. Divide batter evenly among pans.

Bake at 350 for around 50 minutes. Transfer to wire cooling rack.



 As always, I have the cutest help around!


Easy Foolproof Ganache
18 ozs semisweet chocolate chips
1 ½ cups heavy cream
1 tablespoon liquor or flavoring (optional)

Heat cream until nearly boiling. Pour over chocolate chips, cover and let sit 10 minutes. Whisk chocolate and cream (and flavor if using) until well combined; dark, smooth and glossy.

Let sit at room temp until cooled. To thicken, beat with hand mixer for a few minutes. Also thickens over time as it sits.

Refrigerate in airtight container for up to a week. To restore to spreading or glazing consistency, heat and stir over double boiler for a few minutes until softened.



The chocolate ganache recipe was a hit
at Mo's 2nd birthday party!


Sweet face


Served these cupcakes with strawberry-cream cheese frosting.
Princesses MUST have pink everything!


My princess turning 3!


As you can tell, we love chocolate cake! Hope you enjoy this recipe as much as we have.

Have a blessed weekend,



PS - just a few more pics of my girl... cause she's a great baker and such a cutie pie!





I'm linked up with:

2 comments:

The Everett Seven said... Best Blogger Tips

Wow, that looks so good right now! Next time I make a cake it might just be this one. :)

Rachel- Once Upon a Farm said... Best Blogger Tips

Yummy, Meg!! And Moriah is so stinkin' cute! Love her!