Here's an up-cycle project from this summer that was fairly simple and quick to accomplish.
The possibilities are endless when it comes to reusing t.p. and paper towel rolls. I'd love to hear what you have done or made with yours!
Crafting tools ready to go!
T. P. Wall Art
Cost: $2
Time to make: 1 hour, plus dry time
To get started gather your tools: empty cardboard rolls, a hot glue gun, scissors, a ruler and paint (I chose spray paint).
I used brown cardboard paper towel rolls for this project. They held up well to being cut, glued and painted. I have also hear that the white t.p. rolls are very sturdy.
I held my paper towel rolls next to a ruler and made a pen mark at every inch.
Just choose the size (depth) you want for your art and keep it uniform.
Squish the roll flat, just enough to cut it at each mark. They will bounce back a bit and that's okay.
Lay your pieces out to get an idea of the pattern you want to use.
Play around with it a bit, there are so many possibilities! I kept my design pretty simple.
I tried to do this craft from start to finish in one nap time and made it!
Next glue the cut roll pieces together.
I just used a dot of hot glue and pinched the sides together until they held fast.
(Didn't even burn myself this time!)
Your finished product will straighten itself out when you are
done gluing it together.
Sometimes there are little pieces of the rolls that want to stick up,
just trim them off.
Lastly I took the pieces outside to spray paint them.
I placed a couple of 2x4's under them so that I could spray at every angle.
After drying on one side I flipped them to paint from the other side.
The cardboard soaked up the paint a bit, and some evaporated on the 100+ degree day I chose to be outside painting! It took almost an entire can of spray paint to get the look I wanted.
Keep painting until it looks good and covered.
Ta da!
Display your t.p. roll art proudly... no one will ever guess what they are made of. (unless they have seen them around Pinterest :o)
To display my art I hung them each on a small nail. I really like how the color of the art brings out the bird in my painting. It was just the touch of color that I was looking for this summer. And now... it's on to changing my decor for fall! I can't believe how the time is flying by this year!
Besides making these I continued my paint kick by purchasing 5 old, wooden frames for $2 at a garage sale, which I lightly sanded and painted. I really enjoy the look of them hanging on my kitchen wall (hope to post pics soon).
A little sparkle goes a long way!
"I will take you home, little sample, and you will be mine!"
The pretty turquoise paint used in this frame was 50 cents, a discarded sample I found at Lowe's. I LOVE the color and I have plenty of this paint left for a couple other small projects.
And to keep the kids happy while getting my frames painted I gave them a job... making shapes from Play Doh!
Playing, learning, visiting and having fun!
I added a pop of color to my living room wall by spray painting a frame that I have had for a few years. I used the left over paint from the t.p. roll art projesct!
Does it really look that crooked on my wall?! Goodness!
Scripture art I created to remind our family to REJOICE ALWAYS!
I hope that you are inspired to create something lovely for your home. It doesn't have to be expensive or really even cost anything. Look for something you already have lying around and make something new out of it!
Now to change my decorations for the fall... let's see what I can come up with!
Have a blessed weekend,

"Therefore, whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God."
1 Corinthians 10:31
I'm linked up with:



1 comments:
Love your creative use of toilet paper tubes. Thanks for posting.
Cathie at toddlersthroughpreschool.com
Post a Comment