January 15, 2012

Beauty That Never Fades {Thoughtful Momma Monday}

Thoughtful Momma Monday



I am participating in the Gentleness Challenge over at Courtney's blog, and have been thinking on gentleness throughout each day... the verse that comes to my mind first is:


Do not let your adornment be merely outward-arranging the hair, wearing gold, or putting on fine apparel- rather let it be the hidden person of the heart, with the incorruptible beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is very precious in the sight of God.  1 Peter 3:3-4


A gentle and quiet spirit does not come naturally to me... it's something I have to ask God to help me with.

I need help to:
  • Bite my tongue - I don't have all the answers.
  • Slow down - My hands reflect my heart, especially with my children. Whether it's when brushing my daughter's hair or dressing my son for the day I need to be soft and easy with my hands - imparting peace and love.
  • Listen - not just hear the words that someone is telling me, but truly listen to them - with my eyes, ears and heart.
  • Sit still - in God's presence. It's a busy life we lead. Family to care for, friends to visit with, and a "To Do" list that's ever-growing. My Jesus desires my attention and affection. I need to sit still.

My heart wants all these things but I know it's impossible outside of God's grace.

I choose to daily ask for help from the One who made me and knows me, even better than I know myself.

ALL things are possible! I'm excited for a new season of growth in my life. Thank you, Lord!!!


Have a wonderfully, blessed week,

 
You can read more about the Gentleness Challenge here:
 

4 comments:

Jennifer said... Best Blogger Tips

It's so easy to always be in a rush! And, of course, the opposite of gentleness happens. (at least to me!)

A great reminder to slow down and take in the moment.

Megan said... Best Blogger Tips

Me too... and I remember those rushed moments happened often when I was a child as well. I don't want my kids to suffer because I lack patience and self control. Want more fruit of God's Spirit in my life!

Debra Davis said... Best Blogger Tips

Great reminder about the the things we need to do- listening with my eyes is something I realized I needed to start working on with my husband. Stop what I am doing and turn and actually give him my attention. It sounds so easy, but...

Glad I found you through your GMG leaders post. I mentioned there I am also from Oregon, now living in Texas. I would like to invite you to check out my blog too. www.tuningmyheart.com It is mainly my thoughts from my Daily Bible reading plan- fun to discover that for all these years of journaling my way through my quiet time I had been doing SOAP all along.
Blessings to you.

Megan said... Best Blogger Tips

@Deb
Thanks for stopping by and saying hi, Deb! I look forward to reading your blog too.
Yeah for GMG Leaders to encourage one another! Blessings!