September 5, 2011

Crock-Pot Chicken Feast & Some Family FUN!

Just have to add little recipe while it's fresh in my mind, as it was such a hit last night!

I was given a crock-pot before I got married by a friend who was moving away. At that time I had only used a crock-pot once before and didn't think much of them overall. Thank goodness I didn't get rid of this baby - it's a blessing and at times a dinner saver (much like a life saver)  :o)


A crock-pot big enough for a whole chicken is a MUST HAVE!


Sundays aren't usually too busy for us, but I enjoy not rushing around to make dinner after having church fellowship in our home. So I popped a chicken in my crock-pot (c.p.) in the morning and forgot about it until dinner! YEAH! What a blessing :o)

The sides that I made to go with the chicken took about 30 min to prepare. Dinner was on the table in time for us to enjoy it together before Daddy left for work!


Herb Roasted Crock-Pot Chicken

Ingredients:
1 whole chicken
1 onion
a handful of carrots (if you'd like)
a bunch of spices - whatever you have on hand

Spices I used: garlic powder, salt (i would use more next time), pepper, oregano, cayenne,
paprika, onion powder, and basil.

Rinse chicken and remove innards. Pat dry.
To add to the overall flavor, and start the chicken out hot,
I browned the chicken on both sides in a bit of olive oil on the stove first.
This isn't necessary, just what I like to do.
Cut up the onion and toss it into the bottom of the c.p.
along with the carrots. Place chicken on top of veggies and turn c.p. on High.
No need to add any liquid to c.p.

Cook on high for the first hour, then on low for the
remainder of the time (5-9 hours depending on the c.p.).
I got on early start yesterday so it ended up cooking for close to 9 hours.

It will fall apart and be so juicy when it's done!


Getting there...


The drippings make a great gravy.
Mix a couple tablespoons of cornstarch to cold water.
Put in small pan on med/high heat and add liquid from c.p.
Whisk together and bring to a boil.
Let boil for a minute and then turn off heat.
Tastes great over chicken and potatoes.
(You may need to add a little salt. Taste it before serving. I forgot to!)




Sides that we enjoy with this dish:
mashed potatoes

green beans

corn

dinner rolls


Enjoy a lovely dinner with your family or bless some company in your home!


Blessings,


PS - We are REALLY glad to see a bit of relief from months of triple-digit heat here in Texas! Our family enjoyed a few hours at the park today. Here are a some pictures from our outing  :o)


A Jo sandwich!


My lovely girl


Jo with his serious/working hard face, climbing a rock with Daddy's help!


Enjoying the cool breeze and a little shade


Resting with Daddy after playing hard


And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus,
giving thanks to God the Father through Him.
Col 3:17

2 comments:

Pamela said... Best Blogger Tips

How many quarts is your crock-pot (to fit a chicken)? I remember how big and lovely it was when you blessed us with a meal.

Thank you for the great recipe ideas...crock-pot recipes will be most popular with me :)

Megan said... Best Blogger Tips

@Pamela
My dear Pam... not sure about the size of my crock pot but I'll look into it (literally) :o)

Hope to post more crock pot ideas soon!