September 14, 2011

In HIS Strength, For HIS Glory!

I have always LOVED to have company over, cook a meal for friends, or hand out some homemade cookies to neighborhood kids. I know that a few of my giftings are hospitality and service.


Fresh cinnamon rolls ready to serve to guests!


Even though I love to be hospitable, sometimes it's not easy. With two little ones, a house to keep clean and in order and a ministry to assist my husband in, life can seem so busy! I get tired. I sometimes feel like I just need a break (and it's true that at times I do). Even so, perseverance creates character! Sometimes you just need to push on through and serve with joy! It's not about what I can do in my own strength , especially when I am doing my work to glorify God.

Here are a few verses that speak of hospitality:
Hebrews 13:2
Don't neglect to show hospitality, for by doing this some have welcomed angels as guests without knowing it.

Romans 12: 12-14
Rejoice in hope; be patient in affliction; be persistent in prayer. Share with the saints in their needs; pursue hospitality. Bless those who persecute you; bless and do not curse.
 
As I was reading in 1 Peter yesterday I felt the Lord speaking directly to me through His Word. He had been searching my heart, knew how I was feeling and then clearly showed me what He thought about it...
1 Peter 4:7-11
Now the end of all things is near; therefore, be clear-headed and disciplined for prayer. Above all, keep your love for one another at full strength, since love covers a multitude of sins. Be hospitable to one another without complaining. Based on the gift they have received, everyone should use it to serve others, as good managers of the varied grace of God. If anyone speaks, his speech should be like the oracles of God; if anyone serves, his service should be from the strength God provides, so that in everything God may be glorified through Jesus Christ. To Him belong the glory and the power forever and ever. Amen.

We are to walk in our giftings in HIS STRENGTH alone, so that He receives glory!

It's really not about us!
(even though we are blessed in return)

A few questions to ponder... (for me too!)
  • What giftings has God given you?
  • Do you feel burnt when you serve others?
  • Could it be, that like me, you are not fully relying on God's strength to fill you and carry you as you serve?
  • Is your goal to glorify God?

We can do and be all that God created us to, with His strength. We just have to go to the source each day! This is something I am still learning to do.

Be encouraged today! God is for you and loves you so.
Rely on His strength and He will receive the glory!


Blessings,


I'm linked up with:



2 comments:

Anonymous said... Best Blogger Tips

Just had to comment. To this day (as recently as the other night!) When having a conversation about customer service I'll mention to Aaron "Remember my friend Megan? You know, the one you have never met? She was amazing at Tillamook...sooo good with customers." Seriously, I was so impressed at how good you were and how natural it came to you. Then there was me, who looked like a deer in headlights, whenever I had to talk to someone! You really do have gift with service...XO

Megan said... Best Blogger Tips

@somethingnicefornow.com
You are too kind... thank you for the encouraging words though.
I really enjoyed working at Tillamook - sampling the ice cream was the best part :o)
And, I can't believe that I have never met your hubby (and you haven't met mine)! One day I hope we can all meet.
Love you!!!