October 6, 2011

Crock Pot French Dip Sandwiches and Pumpkin Cookies!

Happy Friday!

Here's a tasty fall dinner idea and dessert to go along with it! You will love the simplicity of it all.



Dinner is served!


Crock Pot French Dip Sandwiches
(Two thumbs up from my hubby!)

Ingredients:
1 chuck roast (3-4 lbs)
3/4 cup soy sauce
1 beef bullion cube
10 whole black peppercorns
1 Tablespoon rosemary
1 Tablespoon minced garlic
*I added a few slices of red onion to the mix too!
Hoagie rolls
Choice of cheese
 
Directions:
1. Cut all the fat off the roast.
 
2. Spray crock pot with nonstick spray and place roast in the crock pot.
 
3. Mix together soy sauce, bullion cube (dissolved in a cup of hot water), peppercorns, rosemary, and garlic.
 
4. Pour mixture over the roast.
 
5. Add enough water to the crock pot to cover the roast.
 
6. Set the crock pot on high and cook for 1 hour.
 
7. Turn down the heat to low and cook for an additional 8 hours.

 

 


Almost there!

 

 8. The roast is done when you can pull it apart easily with a fork.
 
9. Shred the roast with a fork and serve on rolls (toasted in the oven makes it even better) with your choice of cheese (I used mozzarella). Use remaining juices in the crock pot for dipping sauce.
 
***Cooking time will vary depending on the crock pot.***



And here's dessert!

 




Best Pumpkin Cookies

 
Ingredients:
1 cup butter, room temperature
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1 can of cooked pumpkin (15 oz)
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
2 teaspoons cinnamon
½ teaspoon cloves or nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon salt

 

Penuche Glaze
3 tablespoons butter
1/2 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
1/4 cup milk
1 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
*Nuts of choice to sprinkle on top

 

 
Directions:

 
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

2.Have ready some ungreased baking sheets.

3. In a large mixing bowl, cream butter and the sugars together until light and fluffy.

4. Blend in pumpkin, egg and vanilla extract.

5. In separate bowl, stir together flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon and salt.

6. Mix flour mixture into butter-sugar mixture.

7, Drop tablespoonfuls 3 inches apart on ungreased baking sheets.

8. Bake the cookies for 10-12 minutes until golden around the edges.

9. Transfer warm cookies to racks.

10. Let cool completely for a least one half hour, then frost with glaze. (I left a few just as they were - so tasty even without the glaze. Thinking I'll try a cream cheese frosting next time! They are so soft and tasty - almost like pumpkin bars!)

 

 
For Glaze:
In a medium saucepan, heat butter and brown sugar over medium heat until bubbly. Cook, stirring constantly, for one minute or until slightly thickened. Beat in the milk. Blend in confectioner's sugar until the glaze is smooth and spreadable. Using a silicone basting brush or a butter knife to spread glaze on cookies. Please note; this glaze will harden fairly quickly. I suggest that you keep the saucepan over the stove on the lowest heat possible to prevent it from hardening.

These tasty pumpkin cookies were Pops' "October cookies"... read about a neat gift idea in this post!

 

 
Go ahead... try a bite!

 

 
I just made this tasty meal for my family and in-laws this week and we all enjoyed it. I hope that you will try both recipes sometime and share them with others!

 Have a blessed weekend,


Check out many more delicious recipes here:


7 comments:

Unknown said... Best Blogger Tips

Visiting from Comfy in the Kitchen. Both of these recipes sound yummy. I really should start using my crock pot more. It can do all the cooking while I'm at work!

Megan said... Best Blogger Tips

@Rachel Lynn
Yes! Let your crock pot do the work! It only takes about 10 minutes to throw everything in there and it's ready to enjoy when you get home!
Thanks for stopping by :o)

Colie's Kitchen said... Best Blogger Tips

Hi this is Nicole from Colie’s Kitchen I just discovered your blog and wanted to drop by and say hi. I am now a new follower. I would love to have you stop by Colie’s Kitchen if you get a chance. www.colieskitchen.com

Megan said... Best Blogger Tips

@Colie's Kitchen
Thank you, Nicole, for stopping by and for following! Look forward to seeing your site soon. Have a great week!

Amy J said... Best Blogger Tips

Apparently, I'm really tired, because I read the title and thought, " How do you make cookies in the crockpot?" I think I need a nap!

They both look great and are now on my meal plan for next week!

Serah Freeman said... Best Blogger Tips

Perfect timing! I've been looking for something to do with the roast in my freezer :) These look yummy! Thanks Megan!

Megan said... Best Blogger Tips

@Serah Freeman
So glad, Serah! If there are leftovers (there should be - got a big roast this time) I will use them to make shredded beef tacos for dinner tomorrow!
Hope you are doing well. Think of you often!