"I'm Scuppers the Sailor Dog--I can sail in a galeright over a whaleunder full sailin a fog."
As I was reading it to a sleepy-eyed darling a couple of nights ago, something caught my attention. On the last page there was a picture of Scuppers in his little boat and ahead of him, high on some rocks, was a lighthouse. It was then I began comparing the Bible to a lighthouse.
"Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path"
Psalm 119:105
When our world is shaken, when darkness surrounds us and life is stormy there is a light that will not fail us. It is the precious word of God. It is the only truth in this fallen world - it is steadfast because the author is steadfast.
"The teaching of your word gives light, so even the simple can understand."
Psalm 119:130
Lighthouses were built to help sailors see through the thick fog and storms and be aware of rocks so they wouldn't crash! They were also build to aid in navigation. They were placed high enough to be seen by the mariner before danger was reached. (Wikepedia)
God's word lights our way so that we know where to walk, but it also shines light on sin so we see it for what it is and we don't crash into it and die! Even so, it's our responsibility to open that word and read it. It won't do us any good sitting on our bookshelf gathering dust.
His word is to be the final authority in our lives and will daily aid us in navigating the waters of life if we allow it to!
For a long time I tried to dig into God's word daily yet it was such a struggle and I felt like I was failing my King and my family. I am so thankful for the chance to join many other women on a journey through 1 John this fall. This study is hosted by Courtney and Angela at Good Morning Girls.org. I am encouraged and held accountable to read the word and then have the opportunity to share what I'm learning with friends!
***You can do this as well! Find a friend or two to walk through a book of scripture together. A verse or two each day is enough to meditate on. There is such joy in learning God's word with others!***
May you (and I) hunger for more of God's word - His true and precious promises!
Blessings,

I'm linked up with:




0 comments:
Post a Comment