October 4, 2011

The Sweetness of Hospitality and Snickerdoodle Recipe

In February I was thinking about what to give my father-in-law for his birthday… another shirt? I think that’s what I gave him for Christmas the past two years. What would he like? Then I thought of his face lighting up when I handed him a little bag of cookies I made the other night. That’s it! I would give him a “Cookie Coupon” – good for one batch of cookies, delivered the first week of each month for a whole year! Wouldn’t you like to get a tasty treat and nice surprise each month? Yum!


A blessing to those who thirst


Whether we give a cup of cold water to a passerby or invite a family over for a meal, we can show hospitality. I'm learning that hospitality is not an event, but rather a lifestyle.

Give what you have – your time, talent, possessions, money. You can give someone art lessons, music lessons, or help with their garden. Take a meal to a new mom or cookies to a new neighbor.

I get to bless my father-in-law every month (hopefully even more often that that) and I am blessed to do it! Here is an easy, delicious cookie recipe that you will want to make again and again!






World’s BEST Snickerdoodles
(my father-in-law's favorite!)

 Ingredients:
1 cup unsalted butter (softened)
1 ½ cups sugar
2 eggs
2 tsp vanilla
2 ¾ cups flour
2 tsp cream of tarter
1 tsp baking soda
¼ tsp salt

To roll cookies in
3 tbl sugar
2 tsp cinnamon

 
Directions: 
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
 
2. Cream butter and sugar together.
 
3. Add in eggs, one at a time, add vanilla, until well-combined.
 
4. Mix dry ingredients in a separate bowl and add it to the wet mix in 2-3 stages.
 
5. Mix the 2 tbl of sugar and cinnamon together in small bowl.
 
6. Use your hands to roll dough into little (ping-pong ball sized) balls.
 
7. Roll dough balls in the sugar mixture until covered. Place on ungreased cookie sheet, 2 to 3 inches apart.
 
8. Bake 7 to 8 minutes, until they spread out and have JUST started to turn brown. Remove from cookie sheets and place on a cooling rack. Don’t let them cook too long or they will be hard. You want a chewy cookie with a crisp outside.
 
9. Enjoy a few and share the rest!



Blessings,

2 comments:

Jacinda Vandenberg said... Best Blogger Tips

That's a great idea! He'll be thrilled, I'm sure!

Megan said... Best Blogger Tips

@Jacinda @ Growing Home

Hi Jacinda! Thank you for taking time to read my blog posts and to comment. I've enjoyed reading your blog as well, but I'm having trouble on my end to post any comments.
My father-in-law is such a kind man. And his love for sweets runs deep :o) I always look forward to trying a new cookie recipe out on him each month. It's good baking practice and tasty too!
Blessings!