October 24, 2011

Homemade Play Dough {Thoughtful Momma Monday}

Thoughtful Momma Monday

I thought that I would reserve Mondays for posting something to encourage moms, because that is the season I'm in! I hope to share something that blesses my children or helps me care for them

After breakfast, and before heading out to run errands or do a project around the house, I like to tidy up my kitchen. Sometimes I welcome little helping hands with unloading the dishwasher, but sometimes I just need to get the job done. That's where play dough comes in! It's keeps them entertained for a good while and is actually a fun medium to use anytime!



Day 1: Nice, colorful ball of dough to play with!


 It can be a bit sticky at first.


"Mommy, what is that sticky stuff?"


Day 7: Still pliable and lots of fun!


I use the store bought play dough at times but find that it dries out so quickly! Moriah and I made our own and it smells SO good (we use strawberry-banana flavored Jello) and retains its moisture well.

This is a great recipe to make together! It doesn't take long and it doesn't have to be measured perfectly as you aren't going to eat it (but if a little one takes a taste it won't hurt them and you will have peace of mind knowing what's in the play dough!). The Jello powder adds a beautiful color and a delightful smell to your homemade play dough!

There are lots of great tools to use with play dough that you can find laying around your kitchen! Here are some ideas: cookie cutters, a rolling pin, straws, toothpicks, garlic press (makes great "hair"), or even coins!

Without further ado, here's the recipe!


Jello Play dough
(Found here)

Ingredients:
1 cup of flour
1/2 cup of salt
2 tablespoons of cream of tartar
2 tablespoons of vegetable oil
1 cup of warm water
Three ounces of Jello – any flavor/color you wish

Directions:
Combine ingredients and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until it thickens into a ball.
Take out of pan and let cool on a plate for a few minutes.
Knead until cool enough to play with. Takes about 8 minutes.

Refrigerate in a Ziploc bag. It should stay moist and pliable for a few weeks!




Enjoy your homemade play dough with your own kids or give it away as a gift (to the little ones on your Christmas list)!

Each time I play with play dough I am reminded of our awesome Creator! Our children were created in His image and we have the awesome responsibility of loving and teaching them!



Genesis 1:27
"So God created man in His [own] image;
in the image of God He created him;
male and female He created them."


Isaiah 43:7
"Everyone who is called by My name, Whom I have created for My glory; I have formed him, yes, I have made him."


Ephesians 2:10
"For we are His workmanship,
created in Christ Jesus for good works,
which God prepared beforehand that we should walk in them."



Have a blessed week,


A little video of us having fun with our homemade play dough!

0 comments: